Everyone has heard of the proverb, “Curiosity killed the cat.” While generally taken to mean that being too nosy about other people’s business may get one into trouble, the saying also equally applies to overeager toddlers. It is not uncommon for children to get themselves hurt or injured in the process of satisfying their curiosity, which is exactly what happened to this little boy when he was left to play without any adult supervision.
The incident happened in Undon Thani, Thailand, last Monday, April 2. In CCTV footage that has now gone viral, a child can be seen playing with a chest of drawers in his playroom. Seconds after he pulled out all of the drawers to check their contents, he latched on to one of them, causing it to topple over.
As soon as it started to fall, the toddler panicked and ran away from it, narrowly escaping what could have been a major accident.
According to the Daily Mail UK, Australian statistics show that at least 22 children under the age of nine have died from toppling furniture or televisions since 2001. Children under three, it added, are those who are at the greatest risk.
The same article also reported that falling furniture can not only strike a child, but it could crush them underneath as well. This can lead to suffocation, or in the case of a head injury, it can be fatal.
A website called Homesafe Kids encourages parents to be aware of furniture with unstable bases as they can easily be pulled over. Since toddlers tend to use whatever they can get their hands on to pull themselves up, these particular items can be hazardous.
It was also suggested that bracketing the shelves to the wall is a good idea if they are unsteady, as well as removing attractions from high furniture to prevent children from being enticed to climb it.
Watch the entire video here:
What can you say about this horrifying video of a near-accident involving a toddler? Is your home child-friendly? Share with us your thoughts by commenting below!