in ,

Teenage girl suffers freak accident after tightening her braces

You will surely dread your next dentist appointment after reading this teen’s life-threatening experience.

When she went to the dentist to have her braces tightened, this 15-year-old girl from England had no idea that she will end up in the hospital weeks later.

Leah Kitchen, a resident of Thorngumbald, Hull, will surely think twice about her braces after this incident. A week after having her mouth braces tightened, the15-year-old teen complained of a persistent headache, body pains, and a high temperature. At first, doctors brushed it off as the regular flu.

via dailymail.co.uk
via dailymail.co.uk

However, it soon became clear that Leah’s condition was worse than just a regular flu. Her mother, Andrea Kitchen, soon became increasingly worried when she noticed that her daughter has become forgetful and was often confused:

“We were on the bed and she just asked how we’d got there. The doctor asked her when her birthday was and she didn’t know. Then after five minutes, it came back to her.”

The teen was immediately rushed to the Leeds General Infirmary. Sensing the urgency of the situation, doctors immediately conducted multiple tests that showed the teen was suffering from endocarditis.

READ ALSO: Parking attendant cares for ailing father even when at work

via dailymail.co.uk
via dailymail.co.uk

The victim suffered from this deadly infection when a metal piece from her braces dislodged in her heart. Prior to her checkup, Leah almost lost her life after suffering from two mini-strokes. Since this is a matter of life and death, the doctors had no other choice but to perform an operation right away.

After hours of waiting in agony, Leah’s family were delighted to hear that the open-heart operation was a success. However, the teen needs to be checked regularly to ensure that nothing else will go wrong.

via dailymail.co.uk
via dailymail.co.uk
via dailymail.co.uk

Although they were able to finally breathe a sigh of relief, the mother pursued to get the word out. Apparently, you can also contract endocarditis from piercings and tattoos as well:

“My main concern is the children who have braces, but it can happen from piercings and tattoos too. If it is caught quickly, it doesn’t have to get to this stage.”

This incident can happen to anyone. Most people don’t even know that it’s possible, but thanks to Leah’s story, they were finally warned. Find out what people online have to say about this horrifying incident:

via facebook.com/pinoyrapradio
via facebook.com/pinoyrapradio
via facebook.com/pinoyrapradio

READ ALSO: Janella Salvador suffers heatstroke and fails to attend a fan-hosted birthday bash

Do you also know someone who has braces? Share this article to warn them of the potential risk. For more updates on the latest happenings and viral topics, feel free to follow us on Facebook.

SOURCE: Daily Mail

Leave a Reply